Let The 4 Year Travelversary Celebration Begin !!!

On March 13, 2007 I turned over the keys, and signed over the deed to my house. That is the date I celebrate as the beginning of my travels. That was the point of no return.

This year I’m going to do something a bit different to celebrate my time on the road. Most of my readers weren’t around during the beginning of my travels, so they might only have been paying attention to my most recent adventures. I also always get asked by people what my favorite places are.

I’ve decided to address both those things with a vengeance!

Starting tomorrow I will do something very out of character for me: I will begin a series of lists of my favorite places in 11 different categories. These lists will become permanent parts of my site and will be linked to up the main menu of the site.

Periodically, I’ll be updating the lists as I visit more places.

Here is what the series will entail:

1. Favorite Cities (March 14)
  2. Favorite Museums (March 15)
  3. Favorite SCUBA Sites (March 16)
  4. Favorite Historical Sites (March 17)
  5. Favorite Natural Sites (March 20)
  6. Favorite Cuisines (March 21)
  7. Favorite Buildings/Structures (March 23)
  8. Favorite Drives (March 27)
  9. Favorite Experiences (March 28)
  10. Favorite Beaches (March 31)

These lists will be 100% subjective based on my own opinion. Much of my opinion may have been influence by conditions during my stay.

This will be a fun exercise for me because it will force me to go back and think about places I haven’t thought about in a while.

I hope you enjoy reading it half as much as I did doing it!

Comments

1. simbawa says:

Happy anniversary..
    Great experienced on your travellers for four years. It is my first time visit. I hope you can share more interesting places in the next.. :)

2. Gary, this are great traveling suggestions, i wonder how you became interested in traveling and how you started into it? I am almost a graduate from college and i would love to go travel the world but i am a little afraid about not knowing where to start or how to do it

3. deb says:

sundarbon is the largest mangrove forest in the world .

4. Patrick says:

I turned the key in October last year. Glad to have found a fellow traveller! 4 years sounds amazing! Congrats!! Patrick

5. Happy Anniversary! I think this will be a great way to revisit all the places you have been. May I suggest some lists:
    1) Best sunsets (I’m sure you have images to go along with this)
    2) Best places for cheese, including our home state, Wi
    3) Best libations (everything from beer to kava to wine to tea)
    4) Best view of the stars (Sahara, Patagonia, etc.)
    Have a blast continuing your journeys.
    Ms Traveling Pants

6. Costa Blanca says:

Respect Gary! This sounds like the best trip ever!

7. Thristhan says:

Wow, Just bumped into your website Gary, very interesting. Indepth travel suggestions and seems like you’ve been to all around the world :). I’m from Malaysia by the way.

8. Anthony says:

Looking forward to seeing it Gary. Doing a list post in a very unique way. I like it! :)

9. Talha says:

Piousbox is an emerging social network for travellers, and a travel guide. Register for free at piousbox.com

10. Lindsay Hogg says:

Congrats! Excited for the list to continue and grow! :)

11. Anonymous says:

My birthday is a great day to celebrate a travelversary! Congrats on #4. Looking forward to your favorites.

12. Jocy says:

Congratulations! I wish you more adventures.

13. Angela says:

You just had 4 great years, happy anniversary, I’ve been thoroughly enjoying your writing!

14. As We Travel says:

Happy anniversary Gary :)

I look forward to reading your list posts and impressions from around the world.

15. Kim says:

Happy Travelversary! Four years is a long time! Something to be proud of.

16. Agne says:

Looking forward!

17. 3LeftTurns says:

You da man! Gary. Read/View you every day. Very aspirational. Looking forward to these future posts.

18. BlueMarbleSafari says:

Will you be including a favorite photo from each location as well? ;)

19. im looking forward to the lists for scuba locations and FOOOOOOD!