California is a state on the West Coast of the United States. It ranks first in the US in terms of population with a total population count of 39 million people. It also ranks third in the US in terms of the state size only with Alaska and Texas bigger in size. California shares borders with Oregon, Arizona, and Nevada. Travel to California is popular because it is filled with several tourist attractions, and many of the cities have activities for every type of traveler—families, couples, and solo travelers. Sacramento is the capital city of California.
California features a diverse geographical feature including mountain ranges like the Sierra Nevada and the ocean with breathtaking views of the Pacific coastline. Some areas of California feature a desert landscape and forests. Aside from its diversity, travel to California is popular due to its link to the film industry.
The economy of California is supported by tourism, finance, technology, real estate, scientific and retail business, to name a few.
Currency: US Dollar
Official Language: English is the official language of California or the US as a whole.
Wi-Fi Availability: California has launched its free public Wi-Fi access making it easier to stay connected when you travel to California.
Airport/s: LAX or Los Angeles International Airport is the main international airport for flights that travel to California.
Visa Required: The visa requirements for travel to California and the US is constantly changing. Hence, you need to check your country’s local US embassy prior to travel.
International Driver’s License Accepted? You do not need a California driver’s license or international driver’s license to drive in California if you are staying for less than 10 days.
Driving: In California, you must drive on the right-hand side of the road.
Crime: Despite being one of the most populous states in the US, the crime rate in California is on par with the national average. There are some cities in California that are concerned more of a security risk than the others. Among the safest cities in California are Saratoga, Los Altos, Soledad, Lincoln, Calabasas, and Irvine.
Electrical Adapters: The electrical voltage in California is 120 volts at a frequency of 60 Hertz.
Trivia: DID YOU KNOW that two of the ten most populous cities in the US are in California? It’s Los Angeles and San Diego.
Things to Do in California
There are no shortage of incredible things to do across the state. Here’s a list that can jumpstart your California trip planning.
- Head to the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles with your kids and see if your hands fit any of the stars’.
- Get arty at LA’s beautiful Getty Center.
- Glimpse the Hollywood sign on a Runyon Canyon hike (where the locals hang out in LA!).
- Surf the beaches of San Clemente or Huntington Beach.
- Eat your way through San Diego and then pop across the border for a passport stamp in Mexico.
- Spot sea lions in San Francisco with your kids.
- Stand in awe under the magnificent Redwood Forests.
- Camp overnight in Joshua Tree National Park and make it an exciting trip for your kids.
- Road trip across California and visit every national park.
- Take a whale-watching cruise from the Monterey Peninsula.
- Take a scenic drive in Yosemite National Park—if you’re a photographer, get snap-happy and catch some stunning views.
- Do a self-guided Lost Boys tour in Santa Cruz.
- Get toasty in wine country on a trip through Napa or Sonoma.
- Head north in to Oregon and make your trip a road trip of the stunning Pacific Northwest coastline.