Gary is currently in ?????, ????? (Oct 19th, 2014)

8 Things You Might Not Have Known About Puerto Rico

Flag of Puerto RicoI’ve been in Puerto Rico for the last week as a guest of the Puerto Rico tourism corporation. I’ve been cave exploring, visited the island of Culebra, rode the world’s highest zip line and explored the Old City of San Juan. I thought it would be a good opportunity for another installment of “8 Things….”

1) The Flag of Puerto Rico is not based on the American Flag. Puerto Rico was taken by the Americans from the Spanish in 1898. The flag was designed in 1895 in solidarity with the Free Cuba Movement. It is the same layout and design as the Cuban flag, but with the colors reversed. The one acknowledgement to the US was in 1952 when the blue field was changed from a light blue to a darker blue, like the American flag.

2) Puerto Rico has elements of an independent country. While Puerto Rico is technically a territory of the US, there are many things about it which are more like an independent country. Puerto Rico competes under its own name and flag at the Olympics, and has won 8 medals in olympic history. They have their own entry in the Miss Universe competition and have had two winners in the last decade. Puerto Rico also has a top level domain name like other countries (.pr).

3) The original inhabitants of Puerto Rico were the Taino Indians. They gave us the words for hurricane (Huracán) and barbecue (Barbacoa). They invented the hammock. Puerto Ricans often call the island Borinquen, from Taino word Borikén, which means “Land of the Valiant Lord”. It was thought that the Taino Indians were exterminated in Puerto Rico, but later DNA studies found that they hid in mountains and later melted into the population.

4) There are many famous Puerto Ricans. Oscar winners: Benicio Del Toro, José Ferrer, Rita Moreno, José Rivera. Baseball Hall of Famers: Roberto Clemente, Orlando Cepeda, Roberto Alomar. Actors: John Leguizamo, Erik Estrada, Rosie Perez, Chita Rivera, Jimmy Smits. Musicians: Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Ricky Martin, José Feliciano, Tito Puente. Athletes: Felix Trinidad, Juan “Chi-Chi” Rodríguez, Héctor “Macho” Camacho. Many more I haven’t listed.

5) The world’s largest telescope is in Puerto Rico. The Arecibo Radio Telescope is located in Puerto Rico. It is 305m (1,001 ft) in diameter making it by far the largest single astronomical observing object in the world. It is located inside a sinkhole, which supports its massive size. It has appeared in many movies and TV shows including “Contact” with Jodi Foster.

6) Puerto Rico is home to more bioluminescent bays then anywhere in the world. The waters in Fajardo Bay, Mosquito Bay, and La Parguera Bay all contain tens to hundreds of thousands of microorganisms (dinoflagellates) per gallon of water. When the dinoflagellates are disturbed they glow, resulting in glowing water around anything which moves through the water.

7) Puerto Rico is more than just one island. Between the main island of Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands lies Culebra and Vieques, which are sometimes known as the Spanish Virgin Islands. Between the main island and the Dominican Republic is the island of Mona. There are many other small, uninhabited islands as well.

8) San Juan is the second oldest European city in the Western Hemisphere. The official name is: Municipio de la Ciudad Capital San Juan Bautista (St. John the Baptist). Founded in 1508, only Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic is older. The old city of San Juan was a walled city with two major forts: Fort San Felipe del Morro and Fort San Cristóbal. Fort San Cristóbal was the largest citadel built by the Spanish in the New World. The old city is now part a National Historic Park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Comments

1. Enid says:

I hope PR never, ever becomes a state. It would be a very sad day if that were to happen.
    Viva Puerto Rico libre!!!

2. Emmanuel Caceres says:

Puerto Rico deserve its freedom

• Jose says:

It would a disaster if Puerto Rico was granted independence and it has very little chance it will. For an island so small with a high population and little resources independence would not be a good thing.

3. Josue says:

I knew all but number 8. I love that I came from here. Moving to the actual states being a young kid I have l learned both English and Spanish. Now watch me become the first Hispanic president.

4. Emmanuel Caceres says:

Puerto Rico should become an independent country with it’s current flag.No statehood at all because I been observing how each country are pround of their cultures,heritages you name it and take that away from them.United States doesn’t deserve everything they have to earn it not steal cultures.Puerto Rico is better off as a strong independent country and it could do it don’t let United States win.

• Gary says:

Support for independence in Puerto Rico is less than 10% now. The fact is almost everyone in Puerto Rico has family who lives and works on the mainland US and the ties between the two places are so great that breaking away would be very hard.

Most Puerto Ricans seems to be happy with the status quo where they get most of the benefits of being a state without having to pay taxes.

• Kathy Rosado says:

You might one to do a little more research about what you said about puertorican not paying taxes. We do pay taxes!

• Gary says:

Puerto Ricans do not pay federal income tax, as they have no representation in congress. They pay a tax which is the equivalent of the federal tax, but it stays in Puerto Rico.

5. Norbert says:

Great facts to spread around Gary. I’m from Puerto Rico and one of the things I love the most about the island is it’s nature and culture. Another small island that locals love to visit is Guilligan’s Island. It is off the coast of Guanica and it is literally a small mangrove cay. A great place to spend a day relaxing and swimming around.

Another little known fact is that the oldest church still in use in the Americas, La Iglesia de San Jose, is in San Juan. It was built in 1522.

6. A great place to visit in Puerto Rico is the city of Ponce. http://www.topuertorico.org/city/ponce.shtml . I went there for the day while staying in Puerto Rico and it was great! You start off at the historical landmark “Parque de Bombas” which is an old historical firehouse.There you get all the information you need to tour the city on your own as well as an inexpensive trolley tour. You must go to Kings Ice Cream across the street from the firehouse and try the almond and chocolate. It’s delish!

7. Gary Arndt says:

The short answer is population. Puerto Rico has 8x more people than all the other territories combined.

Puerto Rico: 3,725,789
    USVI: 108,448
    Guam:178,000
    CNMI: 86,616
    Am Samoa: 66,432

8. Kim says:

I love Puerto Rico, especially those beautiful colors of Old San Juan. When we were there we stayed in a bamboo treehouse, which was pretty freaking sweet: http://www.so-many-places.com/2011/01/tropical-treehouse-puerto-rico/

9. edythemighty says:

Puerto Rico also has one of the largest cave systems in the world in Camuy. It’s often said that the underground river flowing through them is the third largest in the world, but when I was there last year I spoke with one of the tour guides and turns out it’s 2nd or 3rd largest in the Americas. The title of third largest in the world actually goes to some underground river somewhere in Asia, I believe, that was recently explored further than it had been in the past.

It’s still 3rd largest in America and damn it, I’m proud of that.

10. Andi Perullo says:

1) I didn’t know that about the flag, VERY interesting!!! And 2) I HAVE to see these bioluminescent bays. They sound magical.

• Jose says:

The flag is actually a copy of the Cuban flag designed after the Spanish American War with inverted colors. The original Cuban flag that they still use today was designed in 1849

11. Elke Hinze says:

Did you also know that you don’t need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico from the United States? That they are U.S. citizens, speak English, and use American currency?