- I spent three nights in the “blogger suite” in a hotel in Benidorm overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. Fantastic view. Benidorm is a city I had never heard of before arriving in Spain, but it is a huge destination for tourists from the UK.
- Went to visit some ancient rock art in the city of Alcoi, but was washed out due to rain
- Visited my 112th World Heritage Site, the Palmeral of Elche. It is a forest of plam trees inside the city which was originally created by the Arabs.
- Stayed a night in Alicante and explored the city including the old castle overlooking the sea.
- Spent a very hectic 2 days in Madrid. (I’ll be coming back later. I know there is no way you can experience Madrid in two days.)
- Visited the Prado and Reina Sophia, two of the greatest museums in the world
- Ate lunch at the oldest restaurant in the world, the Casa Botin in Madrid, which has been operating continuously since 1725. It was the favorite restaurant of Earnest Hemingway and was where the ending of “The Sun Also Rises” takes place.
- Got to have said lunch in Hemingway’s favorite table in the restaurant, drinking his favorite wine (Rioja Altas) as well as the restaurant’s speciality, suckling pig.
I’m currently in the north of Spain in Bilbao, the largest city in Basque Country. I’ll be here until the 10th when I fly to Barcelona. Most days packed full activities. I have a very long list of articles I’ll be writing once things slow down and I have a chance to edit some photos (of which I have a lot).
…oh, and for everyone who suggested I visit San Sebastin, I’ll be going there in the next few days!