Gary is currently in ?????, ?????? (Oct 23rd, 2014)

Photo Essay – Andorra

Andorra might be one of the smallest countries in the world, but it is certainly high on the list of the most picturesque. Located high in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain, Andorra is one of the world’s oldest democracies and the world’s only co-principality (the co-heads of state are the President of France and the Bishop of Urgell in Spain). It is also the only country in the world which uses Catalan as the official language.

Andorra is difficult to get to, but it is worth the trip. It is one of the few countries in the world that lacks both a train station or an airport. To get there you have to come by car or bus from Spain or France. The most common route is to fly to Barcelona and take a 3 hour drive through the Pyrenees.

Comments

1. Vaness says:

Awesome pictures indeed. This reminds me vacations there 20 years ago, Andorra is picturesque and a great place to take good fresh air.

2. Amber Lara says:

Wow! The place is really beautiful!

3. Awesome pictures of awesome country….

4. Anita says:

Great pictures! I’ve never been to Andorra but it looks like this is really worth a trip!

5. Bruno says:

Wow! Marvelous country. Shots are great and the buildings are beautiful. I wonder how the food was?

6. The way I look at it, any country without an airport or train station must have a lot going for it. Great pics!

7. Sam H says:

Those are some great pics, would love to visit Andorra. Those old books looked really cool, bet they are worth a lot of money.

8. Eva says:

More than just great shots !!! :)))

9. These pictures just say it all..Andorra is just an awesome place to visit!

10. Really beautiful images. Looks like a wonderful place to visit.

11. OMG! Andorra is simply stunning! Is Andorra the only country in Europe which doesn’t use Euro as their currency? Anyway, the photos are great. Thanks

• Gary says:

Many countries in Europe do not use the Euro. Andorra does use the Euro, although they are not officially part of the Euro Zone.

12. wow! Andorra is beautiful. That sun in the second photo shining over the valley is so gorgeous. =)

13. Thanks for sharing such lovely photos. The stone houses and other architecture are interesting. Must be fun to stay there for a week or so.

14. Jackie says:

Incredible photos! Great post.

15. Jim says:

How amazing! I agree with Kasha, my next travel destination looks all taken care of. Great blog.

16. Kasha says:

Ok, next travel destination sorted!

Thanks for the fantastic post! Those photos are ridiculously beautiful, and I am seriously going to make a plan to visit Andorra in the coming weeks.

17. Anna says:

Hi..Andorra is indeed veri pintoresque, nice that you payed it a visit :)
    I do have few little comments. The language is called Catalan, not Catalonian. Catalan is also official in Spain, the particularirty of Andorra is that it is the only official language there. You can find the precise information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_language
    This reminds me that I haven’t been there for a long time :)
    I also like their motto: Andorra, el paĆ­s dels Pirineus (Andorra, the country of the Pyrenees) :)
    Happy travelling!