Edmonton is the capital city of the province of Alberta in Canada. It belongs to the Edmonton Capital Region with a population of nearly 900,000 (as of 2014). It represents about 66% of the total population in the province of Alberta. Tourists who travel to Edmonton for its modern vibrancy that provides easy access to the beautiful outdoors and natural parks in the province. Hence, you can get the best of both worlds – and over 4 million tourists cannot be wrong.
For several years, travel to Edmonton has been looked at as a staging post rather than the top destination itself. Most people simply pass through Edmonton to get to other attractions like Jasper National Park or the hyped West Edmonton Mall. However, a closer look will reveal that there is a reason to stop and savor the city’s own attractions.
The city of Edmonton serves as the center for educational, cultural and governmental activity in Alberta. There are also several festivals held in Edmonton throughout the year resulting in its nickname, “Canada’s Festival City”. The annual fringe festival is the second largest annual festival in the world.
Meanwhile, the natural beauty of the city of Edmonton is evident despite the undeniable urban development. The city’s location next to a river valley automatically splits the city, which developed its own self-contained ecosystem. But when in Edmonton, do not limit yourself to exploring the city – your experience of travel to Edmonton has much to offer than that.
Speaking of travel to Edmonton, tourists must be aware of the humid continental climate in the city. This makes it an ideal destination to travel to all year round due to the mild climactic condition. It is without a doubt Canada’s sunniest city. In fact, it experiences sunshine for the most part of the year and the winters are milder than most other parts of Canada (specially the Alberta province).
Before you travel to Edmonton, it is customary to list down a few notable attractions. To help you out, here are some of those we recommend:
West Edmonton Mall – As the largest mall in North America, you have plenty of shopping, dining, and entertainment options inside the mall. It is a must to visit this mall because it truly is awe-inspiring in size and offerings.
Art Gallery of Alberta – If you are a fan of art works and relish in amazing art masterpieces, this maverick art gallery is your go-to destination in Edmonton. It opened to the public in 2010 and lauded for its amazing architecture and the art display.
Muttart Conservatory – This pyramid shaped conservatory is a massive botanical garden in Edmonton, Canada. Each side of the pyramid represents different climate regions and foliage. Hence, there is something for all kinds of botanical lovers.
What You Didn’t Know About Edmonton
• Even though travel to Edmonton isn’t the first thing that tourists would consider when they visit Canada, you should! There are over 172 attractions to explore in this city that there is no time to be bored. In fact, there is an attraction depending on your age and preference.
• Canada might have the reputation for being a country with subarctic climate, some parts of Canada do get to enjoy a lot of sun. In fact, Edmonton gets sunshine for 325 days a year. Hence, this is a great city to travel to any time of the year.
• The tourism industry of Edmonton is vibrant. An estimated 4.4 million visitors travel to Edmonton annually. Therefore, it is the most visited city in Alberta – Calgary only has 4.2 million annual visitors.
• The biggest shopping mall in North America is found in Edmonton – the West Edmonton Mall. It features a wide range of shops and also has an indoor lake, indoor wave pool and triple loop rollercoaster (which are the largest in the world).
• Alberta is the only province in Canada to not charge consumers and tourists with provincial sales tax. Hence, that is added incentive to shop while visiting the city of Edmonton!
• The largest national park in the Canadian Rockies is found in Edmonton – Jasper National Park. Don’t forget to visit when you’re in town!
Travel to Edmonton: Resources
- Five Reasons to Travel to Edmonton
- Is Edmonton the Next Great Canadian City?
- Exploring Edmonton | My First Taste of Canada
- Chasing the Northern Lights in Edmonton