Monday Travel Update – Exhausted in Dubrovnik Edition

View from my room in Dubrovnik

I’ve arrived in Dubrovnik and am ready to collapse. The month of running around Germany and Croatia have finally caught up to me, not to mention to unseasonably cold weather that I was ill prepared to deal with.

After a month of freezing temperatures I arrived to Zagreb last week to find temperatures slightly warmer, but with no snow. I was happy that it was a move in the right direction.

I then drove to Plitvice National Park (which is awesome by the way) only to get caught in an April snowstorm and the victim of some very poor advice from Google maps. Long story short, I had to get park rangers to drag my car (with no snow tires) up a slippery hill.

After that headed towards to coast where I finally found sunny skies and warm(er) weather. When I popped out the other side of the tunnel that went through the mountains that separates the Dalmatian coast, there was an 11C (20F) change in weather. I was even more happy.

However, there is a big difference between warm and warmish, and the temperature along the coast, while much better than what I experienced in Germany, was still chilly. The end result is that I now have a horrible spring cold, complete with runny nose and hacking cough.

I also feel like I am jet lagged.

With only a few exceptions, I’ve been in a different hotel room every almost night for the last month. I’ll be in Dubrovnik for the next week doing nothing but resting, washing my clothes (you have no idea how long it has been since I’ve done laundry), getting my haircut and basically just enjoying Dubrovnik.

Next Monday I’ll be flying to Jordan, a country I last visited back in 2009. I’ll be revisiting sites like Wadi Rum and Petra and visiting some new sites in the north that I wasn’t able to visit previously.

With that, I’m going to bed and hopefully will be able to write more this week in Dubrovnik.

Sponsor Updates

The folks at G Adventures and The Planeterra Foundation launched a the G Project this week which will award $25,000 to someone with the best idea for how to have a positive impact on the planet. After a popular vote to select the final 16, 4 finalists will be flown to Costa Rica for the Summit in the Jungle to pitch a pannel of experts. If you have an idea for how to help make the world a better place, submit your idea today.

I’d also like to thank Hostelworld and the JetPak Hostel in Berlin for hosting me for several days. It is seldom that I find an owner that actually cares about the quality of their bandwidth, but Neil, the owner of JetPak, actually does. I’m definitely going to look into returning here the next time I am in Berlin.

Comments

1. mark thomas says:

Thanks for giving up your time for me in Dubrovnik. It was great to meet you and pick your brains a little bit. Happy traveling and when you’re back on these shores we’ll drink another coke.

2. Rory Schultze says:

Dubrovnik is now on my “must see” list

3. Luke Hartung says:

Ah google maps, screwing up directions like a boss

4. Ken Tan says:

Never heard of Dubrovnik before! But looks like an amazing European spot! Safe travel! :)

5. Julia says:

Travelling too quickly and moving on every day or so always burns me out. I too usually find myself getting ill and rundown and lacking energy. My regular travel style is to spend at least two weeks in a place relaxing and getting work done and then one week “hardcore” travelling and sightseeing.
    Also, love your view in Dubrovnik – wish mine had been as impressive there!

6. ces says:

It surely sucks to be traveling and you are not prepared for the weather. But then, those “challenges” are nothing compared to the joys traveling brings.

7. Kelly S. says:

We were in Dubrovnik the same day! We found it to be absolutely beautiful and sunny. After a very cold, wet, late spring in Germany (yuck) Dubrovnik’s weather was fabulous. Of course, we only spent one day there (cruise stop). But we definitely got a little taste of Croatia and can’t wait to go back on our own.

8. Hello Friends!!!!

Great Article

Thanks

9. The view on top of Dubrovnik is very pleasing and relaxing. I really like an ocean view.

10. Julio Moreno says:

The only thing worse than being over-packed for a trip, is being underpacked. I once went to Beijing at -25 Celsius. I am from California and had never experienced a real winter :(.

11. Clayton says:

I give you props for just being able to spend that many nights in a new spot every day. That’s a lot more brutal than many people think. Hopefully you get lots of rest.

12. Sam says:

After a month of different hotels I would say you are due for a break. I like to just drift around on my vacations, but I do try to stay around for at least a couple of days, relax and enjoy Dubrovnik.

13. My favorite dining place in Dubrovnik is Proto Restraunt. Proto Restaurant has been serving fresh seafood from the Adriatic to monarchs and movie stars since 1886.

14. Dubrovnik ranks as one of my favourite European destinations, such a great mix of scenery, history, culture and a sprinkling of sunny weather too. The delight starts at the airport – no manic sprawl here, and transfers with a view… We regularly go to Babin Kuk (just a hop, skip and jump away from the city) and a great destination whether you’re looking for full on adventure or simply a relaxing holiday with a dash of history.
    Chrissie x