Gary is currently in Gerona, Cataluña (Nov 26th, 2014)

Monday Travel Update – Gwaii Haanas Edition

I’ve just set off for Gwaii Haanas National Park. For the next 4 days and 3 nights I’ll be exploring the islands and visiting abandoned Haida settlements in the park. As the park doesn’t have roads or even toilets, I’ll be offline until July 6, which is a really long time to be offline for a guy that runs a blog for a living.

Yesterday I celebrated Canada Day in Port Clements, BC by watching their annual mud bog races. They set up a track in the mud and people can test their off-road vehicles to see how quickly (or if they even can) complete the course. It was very entertaining and a great way to celebrate Canada Day in Canada.

I also had the pleasure to meet a local Haida artist, Christian White, who is a woodworker who creates totem poles among other things. It is impressive how much effort and time goes into the creation of just one pole. I have some great photos that will be coming from this trip.

After I get back from Gwaii Haanas I’ll be spending an evening in Vancouver before heading to Sweden for the first time. The nordic countries have been suspiciously absent from my travel history and I’ll be able to visit Sweden and Denmark for the first time on this trip. I’ll be visiting the Volvo plant in Gothenburg, Sweden and then driving around the Swedish countryside for several days in (you guessed it) a Volvo.

July 13 I head back to New York where I’ll be for about a week having business meetings and catching up with friends.

If you are in Vancouver and would like to meet up on the evening of July 6 let me know. I’ll be staying near the airport but I can probably take the train downtown.

Comments

1. isaacoomber says:

That’s so awesome! Hope you have an awesome time in Gwaii Haanas National Park! and really hope you have a great trip in Canada.Thank you for sharing this with us.

2. Liz Froment says:

I was just in BC for the first time, on Vancouver Island, what an absolutely beautiful place. I already cannot wait to go back and see more of the area.

3. Hogga says:

Good luck in the future travels, and being offline that long haha

4. This is must-visit historic place, with the Haida culture still intact and well-preserved. Glad you enjoyed and made the most out of this trip.

5. Steve says:

I love reading about some of the off the beaten path destinations you go to Gary! Looking forward to hearing more about Gwaii Haanas National Park…

6. Aurélie says:

Great ! It’s a good itinerary, good luck ;)

7. That is such a beautiful and interesting part of the world. I am going to be there next month so I guess I will miss you. Would love to catch up for a beer sometime and swap tales!

8. Mr Gray says:

Just used your blog as a great example to my GCSE class. Your travels look amazing! Have fun, and thanks! From Harry, Joe, Niall, Toby, Ben, Kieran, Ed, Jack, Beth, Meg and Jess in Christleton, England

9. Peggy says:

Have a great time in Haida Gwaii!
    I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures; I’m sure they will be spectacular!
    I live in Vancouver and am planning to get there myself, one day — soon, I hope!

10. Arianwen says:

Mud bog racing sounds like great fun! Were you not tempted/permitted to have a go yourself?

11. Sounds like a great itinerary! Good luck going through internet withdrawal. haha.

xx

12. Hi Gary,

I heard about Gwaii Haanas National Park during the Go Media Canada travel conference. I just picked places which had first nations style names because I thought they might be interesting and hit the jackpot with this one!

Look forward to hearing what you think and seeing your pics:)

Happy travels!

13. RG says:

Dear Gary,

Sometimes I feel like I am totally lost. I have a job in a fortune 500 company. I have a nice apartment (that costs too much at the moment). My life partner and I want to be happy. We want to travel. We’re going to the Olympics so that’s one thing off the bucket list, but the entire world is out there. When you go to these remote places, it just reminds me that I need to be happy. These are your best posts… Here…. Rennell Island… These places are amazing. Keep going to the ends of the earth. I hope one day I will make it too. Be safe out there. Enjoy your adventure.

Regards.