Gary is currently in Mississauga, ON (Sep 15th, 2014)

I’m Going to Antarctica!

I’ve announced it on Twitter and Facebook, but I figured I should make it official and post it on the blog: I’m heading to Antarctica in January!

I’ll be traveling with G Adventures as part of their Wanderers in Residence Program and I’ll be sailing on the M/S Expedition.

The itinerary looks to be awesome. The particular cruise I’m going to be on is the top of the line expedition which G offers in Antarctica: The Spirit of Shackleton. In addition to visiting Antarctica I’ll be visiting South Georgia Island (where Earnest Shackelton sailed to help his crew) and the Falkland Islands.

This is a true, once-in-a-lifetime experience. It will also be the 7th and final continent which I will have visited.

I’m going there loaded for bear. I’ll be using a 500mm lens from BorrowLenses.com for the trip and for the first time I’ll be bringing 2 DSLR bodies with me. I may never get a chance to go back so I want to make sure I do it right.

For the first time in a while I’m going to have to think hard about what I’ll be packing. This isn’t just a walk to the corner store.

This is as excited as I’ve been for a trip in a long time. I look forward to sharing the photos I take and my experiences as I head for the last continent.

Comments

1. Steve says:

Gary,

You rule! I am always jealous of your travels, but this one in particular is going to make me the most jealous.

2. Erik says:

Going to be a singular experience. Look forward to reading posts and seeing pictures. Great idea about the cameras.

3. Jeff says:

I went last March and it was one of the best travel experiences of my life. You won’t need the info but I have posted a fairly detailed travel guide and tips for going to Antarctica (http://www.lengthytravel.com/travel-tips-antarctica-antrtidatravel-guide/) which includes many good links (especially photos and videos). I also posted several videos I took during the trip (http://www.lengthytravel.com/travel-video-antarctica-videos/)

4. Leigh says:

Fantastic! After seeing your recent FB poll about “how many continents” I was wondering which was your final.

I’m sure it will be an amazing adventure. Looking forward to seeing the photographs, and if for some reason you make your way this far north in Argentina, feel free to stop by Salta. We’ll take you out for some of the best empanadas and wine.

5. Watzzupsport says:

With the new technology available now Gary we will be looking forward to some great video of your journeys

6. Michael W. says:

That should be an amazing adventure! Antarctica is the only continent I haven’t been . I get really bad sea sickness so I am not sure that I will ever get there unless I splurge for a flight there or better meds become available!

7. Victoria says:

I always want to go and visit it :)) Take as many photos as you can to fulfill your SD memory card!!! LOl.

8. Scott Carney says:

That sounds awesome. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. I have only been to Italy and that is it. I look forward to reading more about your adventure.

9. CheezyK says:

How awesome! What a fabulous opportunity. Have fun. I look forward to the photos.

10. John R. says:

Hope you enjoy your trip Gary. I too am going to Antarctica in March with G Adventures. Looking forward to hearing about your trip and seeing your photos.

11. Jerri says:

That’s great Gary. Antarctica is the only continent I haven’t been to. I’m quite jealous. Have a great time!

12. Oh Gary, that’s great! Congrats. Should be like you said, “once in a lifetime experience”.

Can’t wait to see your pics!

Nancy & Shawn

13. Kris Koeller says:

Awesome. Can’t wait to see the photos.

14. Mike says:

That looks like an amazing trip Gary! I look forward to hearing all about it and seeing all those pics.

15. Stephen Hope says:

I really hate the cold, but I think I’d put up with it for that. One thing to be aware of – I’m told Antarctic weather does really bad things to battery life. I read somewhere about somebody wearing a special bag under their outer clothes to keep spare batteries warm during a shore excursion, and they still underestimated how many batteries they’d need, and couldn’t take the photos they wanted.

16. That’s going to be one epic voyage! A photographer’s dream. Congratulations. :-)

17. Chen says:

Definitely gonna be awesome! One small thing: polar bears don’t seem to exist in Antarctica, just like penguins don’t exist in Arctic… :)

18. Michelle says:

Definitely going to be an amazing trip. Looking forward to your posts and photos. =)

19. Jenna says:

Wow! All seven continents! That is so awesome; I can’t wait to see the pictures.

20. No doubt it will be an awesome adventure. Can’t wait to read about it!

21. johnny says:

wow, great opportunity Gary! Have a great time, hopefully i’ll be there next year too! safe trip :)

22. Emanuele says:

Wow! that’s awesome. I can’t hide I’m a little jealous (of both the trip and the 500mm lens) :) I look forward to seeing your pictures then.