Monthly Archives: May 2011
The Pine Trees of Lanai
When you think of Hawaii, one of the first images which pops into your head is probably a palm tree on a white sand beach. Indeed, Hawaii does have its share of palm trees. On the island of Lanai, however, the tree you will be most likely to find isn’t a palm tree….it is a pine tree.
The story of the pine trees of Lanai is one of the interesting stories I come across when traveling that shows how people can find innovative solutions to their problems.
The first thing you need to know is Lanai is a rather dry island. It has the least amount of rainfall of all the Hawaiian islands because the mountains on Molokai and Maui capture most of the rainfall which comes its way.
May 2011: Questions & Answers
It is time once again to open up the virtual mailbag and answer the questions which you have been dying to know….
Marianne Schwab asks: What are your top five tips for taking GREAT photos? Get a little technical please. :-)
I am a self taught photographer. I’ve never taken a course or read a book. Everything I’ve done has come from taking a lot of bad photos and researching things online. There isn’t really a lot technical to be said about taking great photos. Here are my tips:
Monday’s Links For Curious People….On Tuesday
The last 2 weeks have been very rough for me in term of updating the website. I’ve been on a ship with limited Internet access and then I’ve been on a trip in Switzerland which has left me no free time for work. (I’ve learned my lesson and will not be doing trips this hectic again).
I hope to be back to a more regular schedule in a few days. Until then, here are some belated links from around the internet:
- Secret Desert Force Set Up by Blackwater’s Founder NYT
- Mining to blame for islands to sink beneath waves BBC
- Email Typo Spells Romance For RP Salazars NPR
- Vintage Photographs of Moscow From 1909 Flickr
- Library of Congress makes thousands of vintage recordings available online WQXR
- VIDEO: A praire 8m underwater
- Europe moves to end passport-free travel Guardian
- Gold Mania in the Yukon NYT
- The Case for Skipping School Nat Geo Traveler
- VIDEO: Travel Photographer of the Year Contest BBC