Gary is currently in ???????, ??????? (Oct 31st, 2014)

UNESCO World Heritage Site #79: City of Luxembourg: its Old Quarters and Fortifications

From the World Heritage inscription:

Because of its strategic position, Luxembourg was, from the 16th century until 1867, when its walls were dismantled, one of Europe’s greatest fortified sites. It was repeatedly reinforced as it passed from one great European power to another: the Holy Roman Emperors, the House of Burgundy, the Habsburgs, the French and Spanish kings, and finally the Prussians. Until their partial demolition, the fortifications were a fine example of military architecture spanning several centuries.

While not the smallest country in the world, Luxembourg is still pretty small, and there isn’t a whole lot to see. A day trip to Luxembourg would probably be enough to see everything there is to see. It is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and one of the most expensive places I have visited in my travels.

Comments

1. Sandy says:

There is definetly more to see in Luxembourg. Every single region has its own charm and they are all different from each other. You have plenty of castles in the northern part of the country and it’s great for mountainbiking. In the east you have the Mullerthal region with the oldest city of the country, Echternach, and it’s amazing for hiking, then further down the Moselle region where excellent white wine and sparkling wine is made and you can find roman remainings, and the south with it’s industrial heritage where you can discover old mines, a steam train and much more. You can easily spend a few more days and see so much more than just the capital city. It is a very green country with a great cultural offer.

2. John says:

I’m in full agreement with Christine and travelgirl. There is a lot more to see in Luxembourg than the city. In addition to the beautiful places highlighted, my advice would be to get out the hiking boots and take go hiking on GR5. This is the long distance trail from the North Sea at the Hague to Nice. The section along by the Mosel through the vineyards is lovely.

3. Dan Stevens says:

A great picture. I didn’t have the luxury of sun when i went there so my pictures are very grey. Although extremely expensive, as a lot of Europe is, i did find i liked Luxembourg, and spent a few days there.

4. Christine says:

That photo is amazing! I am from Luxembourg and I would say that there is definitely more to see than just Luxembourg City. The north of the country has some interesting places, such as Vianden and Clervaux, and if you like hiking the Müllerthal is the place to go. Let me know if you ever come back to Luxembourg! Yes, it is expensive, the only places I have been to that are more expensive than Luxembourg are Switzerland and Scandinavia. That’s definitely an advantage of being from Luxembourg: in most countries, everything seems cheap to me!

5. Dave says:

I’ve wanted to stop by Luxembourg when driving by it, but couldn’t find too much exciting that inspired me on their tourism website.

Tho, from the photo, it looks like there are at least some nice scenic locations! Polarizing filter on that one? ;-) (I love mine for sky pics)

6. Mosh says:

It’s also one of the most difficult cities in which to find a free public toilet! I’ve been twice (once when I was ickle and once about 2 years ago) and the last time I saw two guys peeing in the street in broad daylight.

Give that to use the loo in McD’s you have to a) buy something then b) pay a Euro, it’s hardly surprising.

7. travelgirl says:

actually, it’s a beautiful country with lots to see. i could easily spend days in luxembourg city photographing urban life (and the photo you see above, looking south from the ramparts). the towns of esch-sur-sûre, ettelbrüch, differdange, arlons (to the west, just inside belgium), dozens of other towns, are each different in their own unique way. the drive to those towns is breathtaking, and should never be done with the simple intent of “getting to the next town”…

yes, it’s small, but it’s easily one of the most beautiful places you will ever see if you take the time…

and if you spend your time only in lux city, it can seem expensive. but you knew that… :)