Gary is currently in Gerona, Cataluña (Nov 20th, 2014)

Mungo Ahoy!

I’m currently in Horsham, Victoria at the tourist information center because they seemed to be the only place that had an internet terminal.

The enormity of Australia is starting to sink in as I have to actually drive it. You can understand it intellectually, but until you have to actually cross it, it really doesn’t sink in. The funny thing is, Victoria is one of the small states.

Today I’m heading north into the outback region of New South Wales to Mungo National Park, part of the Wilandra Lakes World Heritage Site. It is lots of desert. Should have some stunning photos.

After that, I’m coming back into Victoria to the wine region and then I’m going to “climb” Mount koscheusku, the highest peak in Australia and one of the Seven Summits. (Climb isn’t really the right word. You take a cable car half of the way up from what I understand. The rest is an easy hike.)

Speaking of photos, I took 6gb of photos on the Great Ocean Road. Just stunning. I’m running out of space on my computer/external HD. I’m burning old stuff to DVD every night. Internet access, as in most rural areas, isn’t very good. Gas is very expensive. I’m paying AUS$50 for about half a tank.

Comments

1. Dave says:

Hi gary you think gas is high there it is 3.39 reg. 4.08 diesel here oil hit 109 a brl yesterday have fun Dad

2. kevin says:

You’d think the size of Australia would be familiar to Americans, as it is about the same size as the continental US.

3. martha says:

It seems kind of silly, but I also hadn’t really realized exactly how big Australia was until I actually got there. My whole reason for studying abroad there was to see Shark Bay and I never even made it there.

4. Stephen Hope says:

Oh, and I hope at some point you’re going to try and get to Cooper Pedy or Lightning Ridge. Some of those outback mining towns are pretty fascinating.

5. Stephen Hope says:

I blame atlases. You generally get a double page spread of the entire Pacific, with Australia down in one corner. Even when you later see it on it’s own page, there’s that image in back of your mind making you think “small”.

6. Wendy says:

I’m really looking forward to your photos! And it sounds like you’re visiting some really beautiful places!

7. Barb says:

Good Evening Gary:
    It is 7:40 here in WI. Speaking of WI, the WI Madison boys baskerball team is doing awesome. The team to beat is Prudue, I do believe they are the only team WI has lost to this year.

Also hope to see some photo’s of the Great Ocean Road, I’m thinking they are amazing.
    All for now.