South Georgia Island is a sub-Antarctic island that is a territory of the United Kingdom. It is one half of the South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands. Travel to South Georgia Island is popular for those seeking out to explore the oasis of life in this mountainous island in the middle of the Atlantic water. However, traveling to the island is one of the most remote places in the world.
There are two mountain ranges in South Georgia Island: Allardyce and Salvesen. Both mountains soar up to over 3,000 meters above sea level. When you travel to South Georgia Island in the summer, approximately 75% of the island is covered with snow. But when you travel during winter, the island is completely covered in snow up to the water’s edge.
The main attraction for those who travel to South Georgia Island is the diversity of marine life. It has been dubbed as the Antarctic Oasis due to its rich species of seals and penguins. It is believed that the island has one of the richest collection of marine life and the densest collection of biodiversity. If you visit to the island, you can find seals in the water and on land as well. If you’re lucky, you can see a whale pass through.
Currency: Pound Sterling
Official Language: English
Wi-Fi Availability: You can get connected via the internet from passenger cruises that offer tours to the South Georgia Island.
Airport/s: The closest airport to South Georgia Island is Stanley Airport, which is close to Grytviken. However, the island has no air links and you can only travel by sea.
Visa Required: There is no need to apply for a visa if you travel to South Georgia Island. However, the island imposes restricted access and you must obtain visitor permit from the Commissioner before you can travel to South Georgia Island.
Crime: Crime is almost non-existent in South Georgia Island are there are no permanent inhabitants on the island.
Electrical Adapters: The electrical supply for cruise ships that travel to South Georgia Island is 220 volts and 50 Hertz.
Trivia: South Georgia Island has no emergency services. The closest medical facilities can be found in South America and Falkland Islands, which can take in between 3 to 5 days to sail.
Basic Facts on South Georgia Island
- The South Sandwich Islands in the South Georgia group of islands is made up of 9 uninhabited smaller islands.
- A few decades ago, the only settlements in the island were those of seal and whale hunters. Today, no one lives in the island except for scientific researchers who have set up their research bases on the island.
- It is one of the most remote places in the world. You can only travel by sea.
- Every passenger who decides to visit South Georgi Island must pay £105 for a stay of up to 3 days.
- When in South Georgia Islad, it is illegal to kill or cause damage to its native flora and fauna.
South Georgia Island in Photos
My Stories on South Georgia Island
- Photo Essay: South Georgia Island
- 8 Things You Might Not Have Known About South Georgia Island
- My FREE Antarctica Ebook!
- Photo Essay: The Footsteps of Shackleton