I’ve gotten quite a bit done during the last two weeks here in Wisconsin. I made a big dent in my photo editing, launched a new version of the website and updated a bunch of my gear including my primary bag. I’m actually moving to a duffle bag with wheels as my primary checked bag. The reason is really simple: it provides more volume and weighs less than what I was using. I’ve also purchased some packing cubes and I’ll be using those for the first time. I hope they can bring some order to my packing life. After a few weeks entropy usually sets in on my bag and it becomes total chaos.
I’m heading to San Francsico on Tuesday to attend the Book Passage Travel Writers & Photographers Conference in Corte Madera, CA. This is probably the best conference in the world for learning travel writing and photography. The staff is an all-star lineup of travel writing legends. If you are interested in a career as a travel writer, this is probably one of the best places to learn the craft.
Next week I’ll be flying down to the Mayan Rivera in the Yucatan Peninsula. I’ll be there about two weeks shooting some Mayan ruins before heading up to Churchill, Manitoba to take photos of polar bears.
Scottevest is close to getting 50,000 fans on Facebook. In celebration they will be giving 50% off on three of their most popular products for 50 hours once they hit the 50,000 milestone. Make sure to become a fan of Scottevest on Facebook to get notified when the sale starts!
G Adventures has also reached a milestone of 300,000 Facebook fans. They will be giving away a G Adventure trip to Jordan, with tickets to Jordan provided by Visit Jordan. Petra and Wadi Rum were two of the most amazing places I’ve ever visited. If you ever wanted to visit, just check the G Adventures Looptail Blog between August 13-17.
- Attempting to shoot the moon Photographer tells his story of getting a shot of the moon and Olympic rings in London. Reuters
- What Was Revealed When the Lights Went Out in India The New Yorker
- Tourists From Beijing To Buenos Aires Buoy U.S. Exports: Economy Bloomberg.com
- Olympics: Gold for travel scaremongers? CNN
- ‘Eric the Eel’ dreams of Olympic return One of the worst Olympic swimmers in history wants to return CNN
- Christine Gilbert from AlmostFearless.com has launched a Kickstarter project for the documentary her and her husband created: The Wireless Generation.
- Non-standard English on the Islands of the South Atlantic Geocurrents