Gary is currently in Mississauga, ON (Sep 15th, 2014)

Photo Essay – Paradise Bay, Antarctica

Paradise Bay was one of the last stops on the G Adventures tour I took to Antarctica in January. It is home to the Chilean González Videla Antarctic Base, which we visited as well as having some of the best photography I saw in all of Antarctica. I had a list of shots I wanted to get while I was in Antarctica and I was coming up empty on many of them before we arrived in Paradise Bay. There I was able to cross most of them from my wish list. It was absolutely the best location we had for viewing sea ice. I feel the need to note that the blue colors you see in many of the images was not manipulated. The blues were literally that deep in color.

Comments

1. Zahid says:

White beauty is always heart touching. Amazing scenery and amazing shots. Gary i read your a lot of travel blog you are lucky. i welcome you to Pakistan also which is neighbor of India.

2. travelyn says:

Amazing scenery. What a wonderful place to visit to see the penguins and seals. The photos of the ice and glaciers are amazing. Thanks for sharing these beautiful moments.

3. Venkat says:

Amazing pictures Gary! I’ve been reading your posts for close to 2 years now. Each and every post is so informative and so well thought of. Your numerous tips are as helpful to first time travellers as they are to the seasoned pros. Wish to travel some day soon. Thanks for everything-everywhere!

4. Dean says:

I can never get over the beautiful colours in the ice on all of the glaciers I have seen. It must have been even more incredible in Antarctica. Great photos!

5. Andrea says:

Wow, these photos are insane! Just gorgeous. Now I want to go there even more than before. Thanks!

6. Rachel says:

Wow, really wonderful photos!

7. First of all, this reminds me of the movie Happy Feet – very happy penguins! And these photos are worth featuring in magazines. Certainly lovely photos, especially the iceberg shots.

8. Surminga says:

Wow, incredible pictures, stunning

9. As if I didn’t already want to go there bad enough… These are the most amazing pics!!!!!

10. Will Peach says:

Just amazingly incredible photos, must be even more amazing to see those pops of colour in the ice in person.

11. Great photos! I looked at the pics before reading your post and was wondering if the blue was the actual color. The ice and snow look good during the hot humid summer, but the temps probably don’t seem so inviting from a kayak.

12. Tirso says:

Impressive photos and very inspiring for future trips! I just wonder if the cold weather is bearable! Awesome job!

13. Incredible, the last photo of the penguin reminds of the the brilliant Werner Herzog documentary ‘Encounter at the End of the World’. Here’s the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeSH80zfb5k

14. (Apparently I’m the first one to see these, as no other people have commented.) Wonderful photos – is there any way to get my hands on some copies of any of these and/or previous photos you have posted? Of these, I especially like the final one of the lone penguin in the snow plus the penguin pausing at the shrine.

• Gary says:

You can get prints made from any of my photos. Just go to my travel photo link up at the top, go to the appropriate gallery and then find the image.