Gary is currently in Toronto, ON (Sep 18th, 2014)

Photo Essay – South Africa

In 2010 I had the pleasure of visiting South Africa as a guest of South Africa tourism. I visited the remote Kimberly Region in the North West Province, Cape Town and areas around Johannesburg. I was able to do and see many incredible things including: a live capture on a game farm, get in the water with Great White Sharks, see African Elephants, ride the Blue Train and take my first hot air balloon trip. While it was my first visit to South Africa, it certainly will not be my last. There are so much more of the country I haven’t explored yet.

I hope you enjoy some of the images from my first experience in South Africa.

Comments

1. lilly says:

wow these pic are so beautiful but they look edited

2. Judy says:

Lived in South Africa from 1981 to 1985. Went back in 2010 and going again in 2012. You will always yearn to return….spectacular country and magnificent animals in the reserves. Thanks for the photos.

3. Coasta says:

Beautiful photos!

4. Beautiful images, after 16 years away from SA I’ve come home to live. These images made my heart sing, as it does to smell the air, see the smiling faces daily and feel the breeze on my skin. Travel will always be a big part of my life as will South Africa, your images capture part of the vastness so beautifully. Come back soon and when you do please say hi,

5. Jodi says:

South Africa looks beyond awesome! Love the elephant photos!

6. Rahman says:

Your Photos are so different and pleasant. The elephant’s close-up is a masterpiece.

7. yadi says:

beautiful pictures.. How could you take shoot them?

8. Ruby Benz says:

wow amazing photos…love everything in this blog..visiting you Gary!

9. Love the photo of the rays of sunshine popping through the clouds on the rocks.

10. Nielen says:

Hi. Great pics. Just 2 things: Kimberley is spelt with an “ey” and it’s in the Northern Cape province, not in North West.
    Yay. So glad you liked our country

11. Coolmon says:

Nice selection of photos i especially like the picture of the hot air balloon.

12. (I really wish you captioned your photo essays.) They are awesome! Where IS that crater?
    The photo above it is heart-wrenching: Way too many open graves and apparently recent burials.

• Amy says:

Beth, the crater is the “Big Hole” just outside of Kimberley. Here is the wikipedia article on it. “From mid-July 1871[1] to 1914 up to 50,000 miners dug the hole with picks and shovels , yielding 2,720 kilograms (6,000 lb) of diamonds… It was excavated to a depth of 240 metres (790 ft) and is claimed to be the largest hole dug by hand.”

• That Big Hole was dug by hand? I wager all the labor was done by non-whites, none of whom shared in the profits. However did the workers get out – certainly not by ladders, I expect.

• Clive says:

“I wager all the labor was done by non-whites, none of whom shared in the profits” – take the giant size chip off your shoulder. How is this any different from any other country during this time period. The poor and uneducated got exploited, nothing to do with white or non-white.

The native Indians in the USA profited so well didn’t they? Just look at how they are thriving in their own country today – NOT!!

• Gary says:

Actually, most of the digging was done by whites because they owned the claims. Each claim was held by an individual miner and the hole was dug by hand.

There were certainly non-whites who worked on the claims as workers.

Later on, the miners combined their claims to create the De Beers Diamond Cartel.

13. I recognize a few of those places! Awesome shots.

14. Great essay – I’d love to go visit!

15. 23 Photos Of says:

Amazing, love the close up of the elephant (pic 3), can almost feel the texture of his skin!

16. Just beautiful, didn’t think I could miss SA more than I already did, but you made me miss it even more with these pics. I love that 1st ele pic.

17. Sophie says:

Beautiful photos of a beautiful country!