This Thursday I’ll be flying to La Paz in the Baja Peninsula of Mexico for the weekend. I haven’t spent much time in Baja. I was in Cabo San Lucas briefly on a cruise ship stop, but I’d hardly call that a visit.
The other big news is that I’ve gone almost an entire week without drinking Diet Coke. Believe me when I say that this is a really big deal for me. I had two days of headaches but they are gone now and I feel much better. I haven’t had anything carbonated and I don’t plan on it in the future.
What I’m Watching
I’ve been watching Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares on Netflix. This series has been out for a long time but I haven’t seen it before. It is a really interesting look not only at the restaurant business (which I have no desire to ever be a part of) but it is also a great look at business in general. So many of the restaurants which are having problems all suffer from the same problems: owners who don’t care, not worrying about the little things, poor marketing, etc. Also, Gordon Ramsey swears a lot which is really entertaining.
The Tudors is sort of like 90210 meets ancient England with a bit of skin for non-basic cable TV thrown in each episode. As much as it is made for a modern TV audience, there is a surprising amount about it that is accurate. I’m curious if/when they are going to make Henry VIII fat and if they would continue the series past his death with Mary and Elizabeth. I think the reign of Elizabeth I would make for a more interesting series, actually.
- Uluru: The debate over climbing Australia’s sacred monolith CNN
- How the World Failed Haiti Rolling Stone
- The Goulash Archipelago: EU Remains Silent as Hungary Veers Off Course Der Spiegel
- Traveling Behind The Borders Of Islam FoxNomad
- The world is much less violent than you think Foreign Policy
- Truth vs Tyranny in the Philippines Zen Journalist
- Panorama of the Week: Blue Sky Quito, Ecuador Uncornered Market
- One Example of How Much Koreans Love Luxury Wall Street Journal