Daily Archives: February 28, 2011
Start Spreading The News, I’m Leaving Today
Well, my week in New York is wrapping up. What began as an audible* I had to call from Puerto Rico turned out all right in the end.
Here are some of the highlights of my week in New York:
Staying At The Jane Hotel
It took me a while to find a place to stay in Manhattan. I eventually settled on The Jane Hotel. Normally, I don’t talk about the places I stay at. The only reason I bother to mention the Jane is because it is a rather unique place. The rooms at the Jane are……small. Really small. It is by far the smallest room I’ve ever stayed in. I’ve literally seen closets which are larger. The whole room was 50sq/ft. The entire room was the size of two twin beds side by side.
You have to deal with a communal bathroom, a lack of space to work (other than a bar), cramped quarters and the elevator was out of service. Oh, I should also point out that I was kicked out of the bar on my first night because I had a laptop. They cater to a trendy crowd I think my nerdiness was cramping their style.
The size really didn’t bother me, I just thought it was an interesting solution to dealing with the space and cost issue for a hotel in Manhattan. If you can deal with all of the above things I mentioned, it is one of the cheapest options you’ll find in that part of Manhattan.
Monday’s Links For Curious People
Here are more things around the world and on the internet which might be of interest to the intellectually curious:
- The world’s oldest water might have been found in some saline groundwater in South Africa: Astrobio.net
- Chess Grandmaster Gary Kasparov on Bobby Fischer New York Review of Books
- The world’s largest cavern in Vietnam: National Geographic
- An Overview of what is happening in Libya: Mother Jones
- A printable checklist of rights you have with the TSA you can bring to the airport
- Is the ugly American stereotype fading?: CNN
- An analysis of why Arab revolts could spell the end of Al Qaeda: CNN
- Most tourists take photos from the same spot: Gizmodo