I was asked by the people at JVC about giving away a camcorder, and it didn’t take much to convince me. One of the big reasons is that I have been looking at camcorders and this is one of the models I was looking at buying for myself. (disclosure: I’ve NOT been given any money or products by JVC. I’m doing this for the benefit of my readers.)
My early attempts at doing video while traveling were seriously hampered by having to carry tapes with me. They are expensive, a pain to carry around on the road, and it is difficult and time consuming to import the video.
The reason why I was looking at this model is because it met the requirements I was looking for in a travel camcorder:
- It’s small and lightweight
- It is tapeless and stores everything on flash memory and small SD cards
- It shoots in glorious 1080i high definition.
It even has a cool feature I didn’t know about: it is Bluetooth enabled. That means you can:
- Control the camera remotely with some Bluetooth enabled phones. (I know it works on the Blackberry currently, and I’ve read rumors that an iPhone app is on the way)
- If you have a Bluetooth GPS you can geotag your videos.
- The problem of sound can be solved with a Bluetooth mic like you can buy for mobile phones. This is a much more elegant and cheaper solution than carrying around a lavalier or shotgun mic.
Here is a video outlining the Bluetooth features of the camera:
ENTER TO WIN: Just leave a comment on this post telling me how you would use the GZ-HM550..
One entry per person. A winning comment will be picked from Random.org. The contest will end on midnight, March 31.