Gary is currently in ???????, ??????? (Oct 31st, 2014)

The New Everything Everywhere 3.0!

NOTE: If you are reading this via email, RSS, Facebook, or some site that steals my content, go and visit my travel blog right now to see the changes I am talking about.

Welcome to the new Everything-Everywhere.com!

This is the third iteration of my website. My previous two were free WordPress themes which I customized on my own. Given my constrains of time and talent, the site was never quite what I wanted it to be. This time I got it right.

The process started way back in November when I was in Vietnam. I had a some unique requests including making my daily photo and my current location more prominent. The result of this process is what you see today.

I went with a dark background because it makes photos look better than a white background does. I also had a black background with the first version of my site and it seemed to work. You can also easily scroll through the last week of daily photos in the photo carousel.

I’ve also placed my travel map and links to my top commenters on the front page. I’ve been pretty lax about commenting in the past but I am going to get more strict about it from now on. No more links to pingbacks, no more using keywords as your name, and no more dofollow links in the comments. I was getting way too much comment spam.

In addition to the new site, with the help of my friend and programmer extraordinaire Jason Nugent, I’ve also launched a new widget for iGoogle and Macintosh Dashboard widget that will display my daily photo. If you use iGoogle (or even if you don’t) please install the widget and give it a review so others can easily find it in the iGoogle widgets section. We may also come out with a Yahoo widget as well.

The final thing I’m launching is a new bi-weekly newsletter which will give a summary of my last two weeks of travel as well as other goodies which will not be found on the website, including contests, photos, and other bits of information. Subscribing is really easy; just put your first name and email address in the form on the top of the page. That’s it. It should go without saying that I’m never going to give your email address out to anyone, or let 3rd parties use it to sell you stuff.

The newsletter is NOT the daily feed from my website. If you want to get photos and blog posts every day in your RSS reader or your email inbox, just click here.

My next big project will be a full blown, customized site for my travel photography. It will be tightly integrated into my blog and really showcase all my travel photos. I am also going to create a calendar like page where you can easily browse past photos of the day.

If you like my new site, please show your approval by voting for it as Best Travelogue in the 2009 Lonely Planet Travel Blog Awards. It is coming down to crunch time and I need all the help I can get. I am behind by about 100 votes. As God as my witness, this is the last time I’ll ever ask you to vote for me for anything again. Voting ends on March 20th, so please vote now!

Comments

1. tomaso says:

The man of virtue makes the difficulty to be overcome his first business, and success only a subsequent consideration.

2. Kevin says:

The white text on dark background is hard on the eyes, especially with lots of text. perhaps a light gray would be softer and still readable? The rest of the design is good – daily photo, recent videos, and such.

3. Gennaro says:

Congrats on the new design. Looks great. Looking forward to checking out your photo blog when it’s up and running.

4. Great redesign! Black does make the travel pics “pop”, which is why I used it on my blog, but you fully customized it to utilize what you do best.

5. Alex says:

Hey Gary, design note: there’s no minimum left margin on this design, which means that on a browser with a width of around 800px the text is jammed up against the left side of the browser. Looks a touch awkward. I might put a gutter of 20 or so pixels there.

I like the black background just fine, though. And the “Where is Gary?” line at the top of the page is very cool.

6. Stevo says:

Nice new look. Very clean. I look forward to what’s to come.

7. GPSReviews says:

I like the look, usually I do not care for light on dark, but this is working for me, with the overall layout. I will add this to my list of blogs to keep an eye on. Work your way over to Indonesia, lots of stuff to see here.

8. Neil Duckett says:

Very nice Gary, loads very quickly too …. i”m sure this will assist with some nice growth for the site too.

9. Dominique says:

I have to agree with Mark about the black backgrounds. While the contrast seems high enough here that it’s all right for reading a short piece, I don’t know how it might be if I read more than an article or two at the time.

The black does showcase your beautiful photography nicely, though.

Nice looking site overall :)

10. I’ve never been a particular fan of black backgrounds (harder to read text imho) but it certainly helps the photos stand out more. Interesting. You should be proud of your efforts to do this while travelling – congrats.