Gary is currently in ?????, ?????? (Oct 22nd, 2014)

Daily Travel Photo – Apia, Samoa

Grave of Robert Lewis Stevenson, Apia, Samoa

Grave of Robert Lewis Stevenson, Apia, Samoa

The grave of Robert Lewis Stephenson in Samoa. He moved to Samoa and died there. His house was used by the Governor General of the island and later the president of Samoa. He was highly respected by the Samoans. When he died, his casket was passed hand to hand by Samoans up a mountain to his grave site.

Comments

1. NLP TRAINING says:

Wonderful news!! Malo lava Samoa Matalasi…beautiful as always and friendly indeed! I have never forgotten my first trip to Apia..Samoa….visiting relatives and to attend a family wedding. An unforgettable sense of serenity and beauty. Loved it to the max!
    Surely looking forward to another trip and hopefully a chance to go to Manono and Savai’i.
    Cheers and Keep up that Samoan hospitality!!

2. Nyks says:

hi Gary.
    Nice image!
    Could you maybe give a free licence for this image? It would be nice to have this image in the Wikipedia, but we need a free license like GNU-FDL.

• Gary Arndt says:

Sorry. My travels and my photography equipment are expensive. Giving up the rights to my photos for nothing in return, and letting other sites profit from a trip which I had to pay real money for is something I'm not going to do.

• Nyks says:

ah, ok, thanks for the reply.

I didnt expected you are planning to earn “real money” with this image.

btw: my photo-equip was expensive, too ;)

3. eq2 plat says:

This is a blow hole on the island of Savaiā€™i, Samoa. If you look closely, or click on the image, you can see man near the water plume.

4. Elizabeth says:

Hard to say. The Samoan friend that I made said that most people are now buried in an actual cemetary. That said, I don’t actually remember seeing one there. ??Hmmm??

5. Gary says:

The view of Apia was the most impressive thing. It took a long time to walk up that hill.

I saw the custom of burying relatives in the front yard all over Polynesia. Oddly, it was only recently deceased people you’d see. I wonder what they do with the bodies after a while.

6. Elizabeth says:

Hey … I can finally say this to you.

I’ve been there and I didn’t think it was all that. I loved the fact that people in Samoa buried their family in the front yard, but his grave was definitely not the best of the bunch!