Gary is currently in Toronto, ON (Sep 18th, 2014)

The Many Faces of Uluru

Uluru is one of the most iconic images of Australia, which is odd because there really is no one image of Uluru. Every angle you look at it is different from the last. Every hour of the day, the color of the rock changes depending on the light. Not only does the look of it change, it doesn’t even have one name! Also known as Ayer’s Rock, Uluru is the traditional aboriginal name and also the name it goes by today.

I had the pleasure of visiting Uluru twice, once in winter 2008 and summer 2013. During my first trip, temperatures dipped below freezing. On my second trip, temperature reached 115F (43.3C). Not even the weather is the same!

This photo essay was very different for me in that it consists of multiple images of a single subject, with images taken five years apart. If you have been to Uluru, your photos probably look totally different from mine. It is a place that I’m always willing to revisit because I know it will always be different.

Comments

1. The drawings on the wall are amazing. It must be incredible to see them for real and touch something that has been written so long ago and take a peek into their thoughts and lives.

2. A joy of beauty is beauty of nature. Amazing picture is taken. Thanks Gary. I am still stucked in Europe though.

3. Michelle says:

My late fiance went here with his mum a few years before he died. Said it was one of the most amazing experiences of his life. Gorgeous photos, btw.

4. Buryan says:

Wonderful photos, they make me want to go there… :)

5. Richard says:

Wow! Stunning pictures. What camera do you use to capture such clear and beautiful photos? Are there limitations to visiting Uluru, such as how close you can get, can you climb on top for a heightened view?

6. Looks magic! The colour contrasts are out of this world. I’d love to visit Uluru one day..

7. The contrast of colors is amazing. What’s best; Did you head out here via a tour or drive?

8. Breathtaking beautiful scenery!
    Climbing it is dangerous, I read… And there are temporary waterfalls after rains.

9. Jonny Duncan says:

I grew up as a child for a while on the Queensland coast. Unfortunately we as a family never made it int the centre and the desert areas. I will come back again on my continuing travels someday to explore!

10. Oh, Ulura is paradise! Would love to visit it. And I so love your photography. It was perfect! :)

11. Stef says:

Great photos, my favorite is the first sunrise photo :)

12. Jocelyn says:

The shadows the trees made on the rock face in the second to last picture makes a nice pattern.

13. The Many Faces of Uluru: Uluru is one of the most iconic images of Australia, which is odd because the… http://t.co/y0JdNy26GF #Travel

14. Beautiful. Makes me want to go to Uluru all the more. Uluru has been on my bucket list since I was a kid – I saw it on an encyclopedia back then. :)