Gary is currently in Mississauga, ON (Sep 15th, 2014)

Win Free Stuff Jerusalem Edition: Hebrew Coca-Cola T-Shirt

The winner of the keffiyeh was Tom from Arizona. I’ll be shipping it out shortly. I’ve had a delay in getting Sherry her necklace because Malaysia doesn’t have diplomatic relations with Israel. I’ll send that when I get to Malta.

Win this shirt and please note the dome of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the background.

I had a difficult time thinking what to pick for a prize from Jerusalem. There are all sorts of religious artifacts you can get from shops here, but no matter what you pick you end up leaving a bunch of people out. Someone suggested salt from the Dead Sea, but it is really too heavy (salt is a mineral you know). I decided to go for kitsch, which is a Yiddish word and sort of applies. I got a large size t-shirt with Coca-Cola written in Hebrew.

All you have to do to win is leave a comment telling me your favorite Jewish comedian.

Comments

1. Erik says:

Somebody already suggested my favorite (Adam Sandler), because he said, ““My comedy is different every time I do it. I don’t know what the hell I’m doing.” I like the truth, it’s funny. My second choice would be Al Franken just because he’s a politician in a clown suit, or maybe the other way around?

2. Beth says:

MEL BROOKS, hands down. Please.

3. Ruthe says:

Definitely, Jerry Seinfeld. =)

4. Billy Crystal is currently my favorite Jewish comedian.

5. David S says:

I have to give props to the one on that list who I watch every night: Jon Stewart.

He is a funny, funny man.

Also I love coca cola and I covet thy awesome t-shirt.

6. Brenda says:

I’m gonna say Adam Sandler, because the Hannakuh songs never get old.

7. SP says:

I’d have to say Jerry Seinfeld for the consistent punchline. There are few episodes of “Seinfeld” I don’t appreciate.

8. Sasha Baron Cohen or David Cross

9. Jay Lardy says:

Can’t believe no one has said Jerry Seinfeld yet!

10. MousE says:

DAvid Steinberg. I loved his irrelevant exclamations of “Go on through! Go on through!” He would yell this in the middle of a sentence, and then pick up a chair and gesture. Slayed me.

And, going for the gold… Gary Shandling.

Also, Gene Widman.

But if I could only pick one….

I’d go with David Steinberg. After all, he’s Canadian, eh?

Love the contests, keep up the good work blogging!

11. EB says:

Jon Stewart!

12. Jonathan says:

Jack Black! I loved his School Rock movie!

13. Emily says:

Mine was a toss-up between Sarah Silverman and Bob Saget, but since Sarah can be kind of crude sometimes, I have to go with Bob. Plus, I’m a Full House fan!

14. I just want to comment on the theme of your prize – I enjoyed the idea that kitsch is a Yiddish word and therefore a kitsch prize is appropriate. Excellent.

15. The Three Stooges. More than one but three makes it triple the fun!

16. dylan says:

Wow, very difficult choice to make, but i think I’ll have to go with Rodney Dangerfield

17. Sid Caesar…my fav from tv many years ago.
    Did you know he started out as a sax player with the Coast Guard during WW2?

18. John Walker says:

Andrew Dice Clay or Sarah Silverman!!

HALARIOUS!!

19. Elyse says:

Adam Sandler

20. Wow, what a tough question! I saw a lot of Jerry Seinfelds in front of me, but I have to disagree. As a young twenty-something, my favorite Jewish comedian has to be a tie between Adam Sandler and Jon Stewart. However, if we’re judging on social relevance, it would again have to be a tie, but between Mel Brooks and Woody Allen. Those two guys are comedic geniuses! Mel is the master of satire and parody, and Woody perfectly personifies the typical kvetching Jew.

21. Buddy Hacket by a mile. The guy kills me.

22. Oh man I love that shirt! Favorite Jewish comedian… tossup between Adam Sandler and Jerry Seinfeld, Okay, Seinfeld wins for sentimental reasons.

23. Grace DeVita says:

It has to be Jerry Seinfeld. He’s so current and wry…

24. bernie says:

Andy Samberg and Akiva Schaffer who make 2/3 or The Lonely Island (Dick in a Box, Jizz in my Pants, etc..). I also love Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, and Jerry Seinfeld

25. Bob Hays says:

Allan Sherman for certain!

26. Melanie says:

Don Rickles for sure! or Mel Brooks!

27. Madeline says:

Definitely Jon Stewart, though Jerry Seinfeld is a very close second….

28. Chrissy says:

Definitely Jerry Seinfeld. Thanks for the chance to win!

29. Skip says:

Shlock Rock… I just like the name, I have no idea if any of their songs are that funny, but judging by the titles, they made me smile… so there ya go.

30. Lainer says:

I think Mel Brooks is the best comedian out there because his movies were way ahead of their time in dealing with all kinds of “isms”. I love Jerry Seinfeld too due to my favorite show, and Lewis Black because I saw him in concert in Connecticut. Mel Brooks stands out because he was a genius director and hilarious actor/comedian. Let us not forget Larry David in “Curb Your Enthusiasm”. John Stewart because I love his show and he’s has genius comedic timing.

1. Mel Brooks (First choice)
    2. John Stewart
    3. Larry David
    4. Jerry Seinfeld
    5. Lewis Black

31. Jeremy says:

Gotta be Lewis Black.

32. Vince says:

Jerry Seinfeld, for his TV show alone!

33. Andreas says:

Best Jewish Comedian? Yoram Bauman, the Stand Up Economist!

Check him out: http://www.standupeconomist.com

34. marcia says:

Mel Brooks, for sure.

35. William says:

I’ll say Jerry Lewis since Peter Sellers was only half Jewish.

36. danielle says:

Definitely John Stewart

“You just have to keep trying to do good work, and hope that it leads to more good work. I want to look back on my career and be proud of the work, and be proud that I tried everything. Yes, I want to look back and know that I was terrible at a variety of things.”

37. chris says:

al franken!

38. @bethbellor says:

Jon Stewart, and here is one of my favorite jokes of his: “I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.”

39. Richard Belzer–love him–especially on Law&Order, but his standup is good, too.

40. Kim says:

Billy Crystal! Easy.

41. Lewis Black. No one skewered the Bush administration quite like Lewis…and he had some serious competition!

42. Ryan Ricard says:

Absolutely Love Lewis Black, though I’ve gotta give props to Lenny Bruce, who pretty much invented “Jewish Comedian”

43. Chris says:

A classic, Groucho Marx.

44. Michael says:

Rodney Dangerfield! One of the greatest!

45. Craig says: