2014 North American Road Trip Update – Week 1

Greetings from Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba!

I’ve been on the trip now for a full week, have driven over 1,300 miles and have visited 3 national parks:

• Isle Royale, Michigan
  • Voyageurs, Minnesota
  • Riding Mountain, Manitoba

The theme of the first week has been water. Water in the form of Lake Superior, water in the lakes of Voyageurs, water in the flooding the region has experienced and the water in Clear Lake in Riding Mountain NP.

Where there is water in the north, mosquitoes are also not far behind. I made a stop in southern Manitoba near Lake of the Woods where I found the mosquitoes to be the worst I think I have ever experienced, both in size and quantity.

My car hit 150,000 miles outside of Winnipeg

I’ll be talking about each of the parks individually in later posts, but I will say that given the water nature of the parks, the first two I visited this trip were the two I was most worried about. Not that I was overly concerned, but scheduling boat trips just added an extra element of something to worry about.

The other thing I was worried about, the border crossing into Canada, also went shockingly smooth. My last several land crossing into Canada were not pleasant. This one was the easiest thing in the world. I think my passport impressed the border agent :)

The photography this week has been OK. Several really good photos from Voyageurs and Isle Royale. All the driving time has prevented me from taking more. Tomorrow I’m going out to photograph bison at sunrise in Riding Mountain.

Next week will be a fair amount of driving as I go from Manitoba, through Saskatchewan, to Alberta. I’ll visit 2 parks next week: Grasslands NP and Waterton Lakes NP.

Until I upload all my photos, here are some Instagram photos from the week to hold you over.

Comments

1. Aaron Pelayo says:

Wow! I’ve never been out of my country yet, but the pictures you took make me want to visit the places you’ve been to.

2. Ani says:

Hi Gary,

I love road trips and can’t wait to do one in the US. Driving through national parks is always an adventure, isn’t it ?

Can’t wait for the rest of your pictures from these parks.

Cheers

3. Ray says:

Really awesome photos man! I love this month’s sunset wallpaper. I am also currently travelling and taking pictures as I go (of Vietnam at the moment – have a look at my most recent post of the food in Vietnam); I will be hitting Canada in 2015. Would you recommend travelling by car instead of flying? Seems like a huge place!

4. biswajit says:

I have interested always to adventurel road trip,…thanks for sharing information with us,,

5. shivkumar says:

Nice to see That America Has A of Places where we can move At National Parks, Waterfall & Culture .If You Planned To Visit America It Was Nice trip By You.

6. Alex says:

It’s nice to have chance to visit the world. Keep it up friend

7. helene says:

Cool! amazing photos and such a nice view.. wish I could visit one of them. Thanks for sharing.

8. I jealousy you my friend because you’ve been to these awesome locations. You had amazing images too.

9. Wow! I envy you my friend because you’ve been to these nice places. Keep it up! Very nice pictures by the way.

10. Wow! The road trip was fun! You had wonderful photos too. :) Thanks for sharing. I always wanted to read your articles :)