As someone who puts on over 150,000 miles in the air each year and has elite status on all three major airline alliances, I’ve come to realized that there are certain things that will alway happen when you fly. I have codified these into Gary’s 20 Immutable Laws of Air Travel.
1) The biggest person on the plane will probably sit next to you.
1a) If you are the biggest person on the plane, you will get the middle seat.
2) If you have only a short amount of time for a layover, your flight will almost certainly arrive late.
3) If the seat next to you is empty when they are about to close the door, the last person to enter the aircraft will be the person sitting next to you. Also, see #1.
4) If you are on the list for an upgrade and there are 4 seats available, you will be number 5 of the list.
5) If you have to transfer planes, your gate will be the one farthest away.