Photo Essay : Isle of Man

Located between Scottland and Norther Ireland in the Irish Sea, the Isle of Man has a unique history and legal status. It is not part of the United Kingdom, nor is it a territory of the United Kingdom. It is a “self-governing British Crown Dependency” which means it is (in theory) a possession of the Crown and not of the country. Because of its location in the rough Irish Sea, the coastline can be very dramatic. I spent 4 days on the Isle of Man in late 2011. Here is a glimpse of what I saw.

Comments

1. Brad says:

Nice pictures, Gary. I like the way you captured the light in the clouds.

2. Maria says:

Stunning pictures. Scotland is a very interesting place, full of mystery and elegance.

3. Wez says:

Great photos. Makes me want to head out there and take a few photos myself, especially the photo of the sunset over the ocean.

4. I’ve read of the Isle of Man before, so I know about the odd-legged figure.and the giant waterwheel. As far as I know, it’s still the home of Nigel Manson, former Formula One champion. (What, no photo of a Manx cat?) And every year it hosts formidable motorcycle races, for the TT Trophy.

5. What beautiful images. I hear Isle of Man is great on so many levels!

6. Rachelynne says:

Lovely pictures! Looks like quite a stunning place. I’ve never heard of Isle of Man, a very interesting story there. I’ll have to visit soon. Thanks for sharing!!

7. Dalia says:

looks like the heaven… I’m wondering what the flag means?.. I love the pictures it seems like a fantastic place..!

8. Niranjan says:

Isle of Man looks exceptionally beautiful.

9. Chris says:

Interesting. I’m a British citizen but clearly I knew/know nothing about the IoM. It’s a really odd-looking place. Shades of the south coast of England in the townhouses in that final image but plenty reminiscent of the Western Isles of Scotland. Really like the first of the HDR-style beach shot. And I don’t usually like that technique at all. That watermill (?) is pretty odd too, like someone forgot to position the rest of the industrial apparatus around it.