8 Things You Might Not Have Known About Ecuador

For the first time since I began traveling non-stop in 2007, I am in South America. I have no particular reason why I haven’t been to South American, I just never got around to it. I’m in Quito, Ecuador right now and tomorrow I’ll be heading off to the Galapagos Islands. It is the beginning of what I hope will be more exploration of Latin America over the next year. I figured it was a good time for another installment of “8 Things…”

1) Ecuador is the closest country to space. You might think the closest point on Earth to space would be Mount Everest, but you’d be wrong. The reason has to do with the fact that the Earth is not a perfect sphere. Because of its rotation, it bulges slightly at the equator. That means that all things being equal, the equator is closer to space and father from the center of the Earth than anywhere else. The bulge is big enough that Mount Chimborazo in Ecuador is actually 1.5 miles “higher” than Mount Everest. Because mountain peaks are measured from sea level, Mount Everest is considered higher because the bulge in the Earth at the equator also means that the seas are higher too. [*]

2) Ecuador is the only country in the world named after a geographical feature. The official name of Ecuador is República del Ecuador which literally means “The Republic of the Equator”. The equator runs through the country. In fact there is a large monument about 45 minutes away from Quito where you can stand in both the Northern and Southern Hemisphere.

3) Ecuador has the world’s first UNESCO World Heritage Sites. At the first UNESCO World Heritage conference in 1978, 32 sites were in the inaugural list. Each World Heritage Site has a number and site #1 is the Galapagos Islands and #2 is the City of Quito.

4) Ecuador had a long standing border conflict with Peru. For decades, Peru and Ecuador clashed over where the border between the two countries was to be drawn. In 1941 fighting broke out which was ended by the Rio Protocol. Fighting broke out again in 1981 and 1995. Final demarcation of the border and end of the conflict occurred in 1999. One oddity of the agreement is that Ecuador has a perpetual lease of one square kilometer of Peru where they have a military base. It Peruvian territory but run by Ecuador.

5) Ecuador was once joined with Colombia and Venezuela. From 1822 to 1830, Ecuador was part of the nation of Gran Colombia which included Colombia and Venezuela. After their independence from Spain, they joined Gran Colombia, but the project soon fell apart and Ecuador became a republic in 1830.

6) Charles Darwin developed his theory of coral atolls in the Galapagos Islands. I’m sure you’ve heard all about Darwin’s expedition on the HMS Beagle to the Galapagos and how came up with the ideas which lead to the theory of evolution. What you might not know is that he also developed the modern day theory of coral atoll development in the Galapagos. He realized that the easternmost islands were larger and higher, and the further west you went they became smaller until you eventually had atolls. Also, the active volcanoes were in the east and not in the west. This is the same thing you can see in Hawaii. [*]

7) The Panama hat is actually from Ecuador. Panama hats are woven hats made from toquilla straw plants. The hats are made in Ecuador but were shipped to Panama on the way to the United States. The label on the boxes often had the shipping point for the products, which was Panama and the rest is history.

8) Rosalía Arteaga, the first female president of Ecuador, served for only 2 days. In 1996 she was installed as Vice-President after the election of Abdalá Bucaram. On February 6, 1997 he was removed from office by the congress. There was a dispute about who should assume the office of the Presidency. Congressional leader Fabián Alarcón was sworn in on February 6, but she was then sworn in on February 9. On February 11, Alarcón was again sworn in with the support of Congress and the army. She ran for President in 1998 but only received 3% of the vote. [*]

Comments

1. Ross says:

Great facts. The panama hats one is good to know. Interesting to know about the 2days in office

2. Jim says:

I am surprised you haven’t found your way to South America before. Nice to hear we will be getting reports from there. It is a fascinating place. I especially recommend the ruins of Chan Chan outside of Trujillo Peru and parasailing from the cliffs of Mira Flores! Always a good read. Thanks

3. Nice and interesting facts on this South American country. I have heard quite a bit of history on South America. There are so many places to explore and their culture is very interesting. The Incas of Peru, Christ the redeemer in Brazil, the prehistoric caves of Argentina and many more. Thanks for sharing. This helps!

4. Loved Ecuador but didn’t get to the Galapagos – when I was there the ‘border conflict’ was always referred to as the war with Peru and we went right down the river to the border with Peru stopping at all the military bases along the way to get permission – lucky we were with an ex-army commander who fixed it all with whisky and cigarettes

5. Diego Lara says:

Hello Gary,

My name’s Diego Lara and I’m writing an article to the BMW Magazine (Brazil) about RTW travelers.
    I would like to talk to you about your experiences and how it’s going.

Can you contact me? I would like to send you some questions about the trip and maybe you can be one of our characters with your histories!

Thanks and hope we can talk about your amazing experiences!

Diego Lara

6. Hey Gary,

I just discovered your site. Vonda and I are planning on Ecuador for one of our years living in ten different countries (and hopefully traveling to a lot more). We are currently on Mexico’s Yucatan coast near the border with Belize. We are going to be here until December then on to San Cristobal de las Casis in Chiapas.

If you are in the area would love to meet up for a beer!

7. Fly Girl says:

Very cool; I had no idea about this, but will definitely be planning a trip to Ecuador in the future :)

8. El Che says:

Wow! I always learn new things. Thanks for sharing!

9. Tony says:

I never knew that Ecuador is closest to space, or really anything about the earth actual shape… Pretty fascinating fact.

10. Li Kruse says:

Galapagos islands really are a huge dream destination! I’m sure I’ll never get there, so I have to enjoy your photos from there, won’t I?

We have been to South America though, but to Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina “only” :-)

I really, really loved it!

I didn’t know that Ecuador is the closest country to space. What an exciting fact!

11. Qurtan says:

7 unknown and 1 known (Darwin). Interesting facts.

12. Amanda says:

really interesting stuff, ecuadorians are great, enjoy ur trip.

13. Interesting facts! It seems to be a mysterious and intriguing place. Can’t wait to visit!

Thanks.

Nancy & Shawn

14. Interesting I bet you had to do some digging for #6 who would have thunk it. I am not one much for souvenirs but a Panama Hat would be cool you should get one.

15. Chris says:

Some fascinating facts there, especially #1 on the list. I had no idea!

I did spot a typo though. You saw Ecuador was joined with Venezuela and Colombia from 1822 to 1820. I assume you meant to type 1830?

16. Andrew says:

Beautiful and incredibly biodiverse country take all you can from Ecuador and enjoy the rest of your travels.

17. Very interesting facts! Good to know prior to traveling to Ecuador, these could be useful while experiencing the country!