Gary is currently in New York, NY (Sep 30th, 2014)

Photo Essay – Riding the White Pass & Yukon Railroad

Last June I was invited by Yukon Tourism to visit the territory. While I was there we drove from Whitehorse to Fraser, British Columbia to ride the White Pass & Yukon Railroad. The route goes over the mountains from Fraser, BC to Skagway, Alaska. The railroad was built for miners to easily get supplies over the mountains during the Klondike Gold Rush. The original route was a very difficult climb up the mountains with the ton of supplies that the RCMP required prospectors to bring into the territory. The original railway extended all the way up to Whitehorse, but today it only goes to Fraser.

Today the railroad is mostly for tourists and people who stop in Skagway on cruise ships. Despite its short length (only 27.7 miles) it offers some of the most spectacular scenery you will see in the world. The train is also used to drop off hikers and backpackers who explore the backwoods of Alaska. A one-way ticket from either Fraser or Skagway is $81 and a passport is required for the trip as you are crossing an international boundary.

I took this trip about a week before the Summer Solstice to give you an idea how long snow stays on the mountains.

British Columbia - Alaska Border

Comments

1. Polly Crawshaw says:

Thanks for some wonderful memories. We were “cruisers” 5 years ago on our honeymoon and loved this ride.

2. Amanda says:

I did this journey last June as well with my family (we were in that “cruise ship passengers” camp), and it was fantastic. We had a beautifully sunny morning, and the views were indeed stunning. Definitely worth doing. I wish my photos had turned out as great as yours though!

3. @TripAura says:

Great collection of images really interesting to look at your blog…thanks for sharing!

4. matt says:

Love the photos not only show the scenery well but also shows the pride people take in the railroad up until this day.

5. David Aycock says:

Unbelievable photos! When we start traveling in a few months, we’re looking to do as much travel by rail as possible. Check out our itinerary here (http://global-en.co/qa3kPo) and please let us know if there are any must-see train routes in the countries we’re visiting!

6. kiwi says:

Dude, your photography is improving by leaps & bounds… not to suggest that it was poor when I first started following your travels :o)
    This pictures look so vivid, I can practically taste the fresh air & feel the chill on my cheeks.
    Envious as ever x

7. What an absolutely fab blog. The pictures are brilliant and really help to tell the story. Thanks for taking the time to post.

8. Philip Spohn says:

Nostalgia! I paralleled that route on a touring bicycle on my way to Dawson City and beyond. I really enjoyed your photos because I lost 8 rolls of film for this ride in the mail.

9. Jocy says:

Stunning pictures!!!

10. some nice pics i love the buildings

11. G. Warn says:

Impressive pictures! Thank you very much!!

12. Thanks for the train ride, always wanted to go there

13. i am totally speech less i don’t have enough words to explain how happy i am saw after these all information about that place.

14. Mica says:

Your photos give me a perfect idea of what the day was like, even though I was not there I could feel like I was through your photos. Really nice scenery!

15. Kris Koeller says:

Gorgeous photos. Looks like an amazing travel experience. Nicely done.

16. Really amazing photos! The place looks like a paradise!