Monthly Archives: March 2011
My 10 Favorite Beaches
This is the 10th and final installment in my 4th Travelversary Celebration series.
I love beaches, but not for the reason most people do. I loathe beaches that are overly crowded and have a Hard Rock Cafe across the street. Hence, you wont find Waikiki or other overly popular beaches on my list. There is a good chance that most of the beaches here are places you’ve never heard of. That is because many of these are very hard to find, let alone get to. If there is a good chance I’ll be the only person there, that is my kind of beach.
There were also a surprising number of beaches which I visited for the first time in 2011 on the list: four. I’m not sure if it is just my memory or the quality of the beaches I visited. There are also a lot of beaches from Hawaii on the list.
My 10 Favorite Experiences
This the ninth installment in a series for my 4th Travelversay Celebration.
This was a very hard list to assemble. I’ll be honest, if I wrote this list on a different day, I might come up with a different order or maybe different experiences altogether.
I ended up picking a list of things which I remember vividly and had and impact on me at the time I did it.
There are a fair number of adventure activities as well as some which really on mean something to me.
Monday’s Links for Curious People
- VIDEO: Hans Rosling and the magic washing machine
- Majestic photo of glaciers in the celestial mountains of Central Asia
- Hiding the Real Africa: Why NGOs prefer bad news
- Agribusiness Pressing States to Criminalize Photographs of Farms
- 20 fun disposable camera hacks from the geniuses at Photojojo
- Our Deafening Silence on the Coast of Africa: Cote D’Ivoire and our Myth of Continents
- VIDEO: The history of Hawaii, as told in plate lunches, by Sarah Vowell
- Defecating dog sparks US shootout
- After a decade of lobbying, Google has won a patent for its Google Doodles
- Interactive 3D model of Solar System Planets and Night Sky
- Northern Lights, as seen from space. Totally amazing
- A special (awesome) cutting board for the OCD chefs among us
- Google Earth’s new 3D function has modified bridges, uh, just slightly
- Japanese mafia groups aid relief efforts by shipping in vital supplies
My 10 Favorite Drives
This the eigth installment in a series for my 4th Travelversay Celebration.
This was another fun list to write. Unfortunately, I have only driven extensively in a few countries: USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. My list is, therefore, limited to the places I have driven.
That being said, I have done a LOT of driving over the last four years and even more before that. I have done over 20,000 miles of road trips in just North America since 2007 and have also driven across most of New Zealand and Australia.
There are some places which are just best seen by car. One of my goals is to do more driving in Europe so I can get to some of the more remote places which would be difficult to do by train.