Gary is currently in Toronto, ON (Sep 23rd, 2014)

Photo Essay: Hot Air Ballooning in South Africa

In October 2010 I took the first hot air ballon ride of my life on South Africa. I felt the photos I took could tell the story better than I could.

Fire and fabric

Filling Up

Fire and flight

Suspended in mid air

Balloon against the sky

South African Flag

Balloon over the veld

Aerial view of River

Township from the air

Wide angle view of township

Mountains in the mist

Shadow self portrait

Man and dogs

Fresh graves from the air
End of journey

All the colors of the rainbow

Comments

1. Ryan Brown says:

That looks spectacular. Great photos. I visited New Mexico for the Hot Air Ballon Festival, but I am so terrified of going up in one. I was supposed to the next morning and slept in, and I found out later that one of the balloons burst into flames!

2. Jody says:

Wow! (and dammit, another thing for the wish list…)

3. Chad says:

Those are some awesome photos! South Africa is really such a beautiful country. I’ve been trying to make a trip over there for quite some time now. I actually watched a movie from South Africa recently called “White Wedding” and the landscapes in it were so incredible. http://www.whiteweddingmovie.com/

4. kkgoh says:

Looks pretty amazing surfing from the sky

5. Love the last one especially Gary!

6. the shots from inside are fabulous, Gary – really nice use of color and light. Love how the flame works in those.

7. travelpology says:

I’ve been dying to take a hot air balloon ride in my travels! Great pics!

8. these are absolutely incredible pics!

9. Roxanne says:

Wonderful, wonderful shots. Thank you for sharing them!

10. Wonderful! So glad to finally see larger images on the site! For once, actually would have enjoyed some words and not all photographs. But still wonderful. The very last photograph is just so beautiful.

11. Great photos. I have been on 2 hot air balloon rides, both during hot air balloon festivals with dozens of other balloons in the air. The only problem is how fast time goes by when you’re up there. Great work!

12. Gorgeous pics!!!!!!! They remind me of my balloon ride over the Outback. I had the BEST time!

13. Gorgeous pics!!!!!!! They remind me of my balloon ride over the Outback. I had the BEST time!

14. Gorgeous pics!!!!!!! They remind me of my balloon ride over the Outback. I had the BEST time!

15. Anonymous says:

Funny – I did my first hot air balloon ride in October too…in the less exotic locale of Minneapolis! Nice shots Gary!

16. Sarah Wu says:

Hi Gary, I find your site through Todd’s post. I like how you mention that for inspirational posts try use the social media plan. Anyways these are really beautiful high quality photos. Love the colors and how you captures them. Great stuff!

17. Fantastic pictures but the grave one spooked me out a bit.

18. Magda Biskup says:

Great essay. The last photo is especially awesome :)

19. Anonymous says:

Totally enjoyed looking at the pictures :) especially the river, dogs, graves and the last one!
    How much does it cost and how long was the tour?

20. Anonymous says:

How much does it cost and how long was the tour?

21. Nice. Get me up there – now … with some beer.

[ PS: I think this was a sponsored outing, yes? What does it usually cost?

the candy trail … a nomad across the planet, since 1988