Gary is currently in ???????, ??????? (Oct 31st, 2014)

8 Things You Might Not Have Known About South Africa

I’m off to South Africa today so I thought it would be fun to share some of the things I’ve picked up in my research:

1. The world’s first heart transplant was performed in Cape Town at Groote Schuur Hospital in 1967 by Dr. Christiaan Barnard. In addition to having performed the first heart transplant, he also performed the first heart/lung transplant. The donor of the first heart transplant was a white girl who also had her kidneys donated to a black recipient, which was extremely controversial at the time.
  2. South Africa is by far the largest producer to strategic minerals. It produces 90% of the platinum, 80% of the manganese, 73% of the chrome, 45% of the vanadium, and 41% of the gold.
  3. The two biggest man made holes in the world were excavated in South Africa. The Big Hole in Kimberly and the Jagersfontein Mine are both gigantic, open pit diamond mines. Both mines were designed to extract diamonds from underground Kimberlite Pipes which come from the mantle of the Earth.
  4. South Africa is home to the world’s largest bird (ostrich), largest mammal (bull elephant), smallest mammal (dwarf shrew), largest reptile (leatherback sea turtle: 1500 pounds), largest earthworm (African Giant Earthworm), fastest animal (cheetah), tallest animal (giraffe), and the largest fish (whale shark).
  5. The second highest waterfall in the world is in South Africa: Tugela Falls. It checks in at 948m, 31m less than Angel Falls in Venezuela.
  6. The best example of a living fossil was found in South Africa in 1938: the Coelacanth. The fish was thought to be extinct since the Devonian period and is considered the linked between fish and tetropods.
  7. In 1879, the largest defeat of an army with gunpowder to an army without guns occurred in South Africa. 1,400 British troops were defeated by 30,000 Zulu warriors armed primarily with spears and shields. Over 1,000 British were killed (71%) vs 3,000 Zulus (10%).
  8. South Africa has 11 official languages: Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Pedi, Sotho, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu.

What other interesting things about South Africa do you know? Has anyone else traveled there or planning a trip soon?

Comments

1. Interesting post :-)
    It is also home to the largest gorge bungee swing – Oribi Gorge in Natal. I completed the jump during my holiday there recently.

2. WM says:

British were defeated at Isandlwana but ultimately won the Zulu War. Most Zulus at Isandlwana and Rourke’s Drift, fought in JAN 1879 were killed to the man. By JULY 1879 the Zulus were soundly defeated as a people.

3. saurabh says:

Nice information,it will help me alot in South afrifica…South africa i am coming

4. I leave next Monday, Sept 27th for my 12th trip to SA since 1998. During each of my trips I have usually traveled before and after the conferences that I go there to speak at. I have been to each of the provinces during my various trips.

SA is a very beautiful and unique country.

You can find some sample photo albums at

5. Roshan says:

would love to be there.

6. William says:

Looks like a perfect place for someone like you who’s interested in geology!

7. Nice info. I love the 7th part. Now I’m not afraid of guns… Just kidding. :p

8. Geoff says:

As a South African living abroad I can only say that I miss my home country everyday. It is a country that offers just about everything a traveller could wish for, from Bushveld and massive African Savannah, to 1st World Cities and infrastructure. There are mountain ranges and semi arid deserts, there is warm ocean and cold ocean, rain forests and wonderful unspoilt coastline but the best is the friendly people with their never say die attitude. A truly remarkable place. Enjoy

9. I was in South Africa just before the elections which brought in Mandela. I’d love to come back and see the change in process…

S.A Trivia? They use ostriches as guard, erm, dogs?, there. They are fast runners and surprisingly aggressive. And farm them for meat, too.

10. Melanie says:

WOW – one of the MUST DO’s left on my list – can’t wait to read your posts and virtually go on your trip with you!

11. This is awesome. I have never been to Africa but I always have wanted to. My good friend goes to Ghana every year and has fallen in love. She loves Africa so much that she plans to work there. She is in college for international business, minoring in french and plans to help the children of South Africa. From what you said about Africa I could see how it would become such an addicting place.

12. Keith Sutter says:

While we did not get to South Africa on our RTW trip we did spend 2 weeks there in 2007. It is still my favorite place I have been to (as much as you can have one). The animals are amazing and I would reco you spend as much time as you can up and around Kruger. Driving the Garden Route, especially stopping in Hermanus to see the breaching whales right from shore, is wonderful. Enjoy and be sure to post lots of pictures.

13. Akila says:

Gary, you’re going to love it here. We’re in South Africa right now and have spent the last three weeks here. It’s gorgeous and the weather is simply fantastic. Where are you going to be? We’re heading to Cape Town this weekend so if you’re going to be there, maybe we can meet up?

• Gary says:

I don’t think I’ll be in Cape Town right away. Lets see if we can make it happen. We can become members of the Two Continent club: people I’ve met on more than one continent.

14. Mansi says:

I went there last September for 9 very short days. Did three safaris at the Pilanesberg Reserve, traveled on the Blue Train, and spent four days exploring Cape Town. It was more of an appetizer trip, really, and I’ve promised myself to go back and spend at least eight weeks, if not more, exploring the diversity of offerings … from the shanty towns to the super rich beach facing condos, from the safaris to the waterfalls and beaches the whole country has a variety of stories to tell tourists. I will look forward to your perspective (through your lens and your words). I had written a post about the safari experience as well as the culinary delights I feasted on that you can read on my blog. Thanks for sharing these amazing facts and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

15. I just felt my brain get larger…. lol