Gary is currently in Barcelona, Cataluña (Dec 4th, 2014)

Keep off the grass sign in Coober Pedy, South Australia

Keep of the grass sign, Coober Peady, South Australia

Keep of the grass sign, Coober Pedy, South Australia

Despite being in the middle of the desert, the people of Coober Peady haven’t let that get in the way of getting in a round of golf. Coober Peady is home to an 18 hole golf course. What makes it different is the total lack of grass. There isn’t a blade of grass within hundreds of kilometers of Coober Peady. If you look closely you’ll notice under the sign that the ball is orange and there is a small square of artificial turf. The ground rules for the course allow for putting the square of turf under the ball for each stroke not on the “green”, so you don’t hit a rock when taking a swing. The “green”, you can see in the background, is really “black” and is sand.

Comments

1. daria369 says:

I bet the lawnmower blades get dull really fast on that golf course… ;)

2. Jennifer says:

That's a great picture. I'll have to send this to my husband. He's a golf fanatic. I can't even imagine how golf can be played on a course like this.

3. Gary Arndt says:

I've never played a hole of golf in my life, save from mini-golf. The tour I was on got to go around the golf course and the “country club”, but that was it.

4. MLRebecca says:

Oh my goodness! What an amazing photograph! Those Aussies are very creative to think of rules for playing golf without any green. Were you able to try out the course?

5. radbadnomad says:

Did you get a round of golf in? That has to be one of the most unique courses in the world.

6. Liz Longo says:

Looking at that photo and reflecting back on your butt in Cambodia, I would have adjust that sign – just for you, to read ** KEEP OFF (YER) _ _ ASS ! ** The inner fire in you no doubt had you in high gear forward – and fast. As the song goes….let it roll baby roll – all night long.